PIE CRUST

I got rid of my multiple pie dishes and only have one, but have to make 3 pies on Thursday! Can I pre-bake a crust for a pumpkin pie, take the pie shell out of the dish, then bake it with the filling tomorrow, or will it likely fall apart? I am afraid it just won't be able to hold up if it's not in a dish. But if that will work, I will bake the pecan pie, the heavier one, in the glass dish, and just do an apple crumble in a square enamel pan instead of pie dish. Thanks.

asked by h 12 months ago

I suggest you get cheap disposable aluminum pie dishes at the dollar store or supermarket.

Stephanie B.

I'd recommend buying a couple disposable pie pans, should be available at any grocery store.

Joanna Sciarrino
Joanna Sciarrino

Joanna is the Managing Editor at Food52

Oh no! Because pie fillings tend to be on the heavier side (especially fall pies like pumpkin, pecan, and apple), I wouldn't trust even a fully-baked crust to withstand the weight without a pie dish. Aluminum pie tins might be your best bet here. They're no glass or ceramic dish, but they'll definitely work in a pinch, and they're relatively inexpensive. Hope this helps! And happy baking!

h
h

That's what I figured--thanks for clarifying!! Have a great holiday!

Raquelita

Why not try two slab pies? I have also baked pies in the type of round cake tin that has angled sides; the rim will be a little thin but the pie will be supported and the whole thing will have the same dimensions as your ordinary pie-plate pie. The metal is thinner with the cake tin so watch out for cooking faster.

h
h

That could be good! I have 2 cake tins I could use! Thanks Raquelita!