Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

Does anybody have a recipe for a "San Francisco Spinach Salad?"

My husband teaches at a private school; the cafeteria serves something called a "San Francisco Spinach Salad" that he loves. Please let me know if you have heard of this, eaten it, or prepared it. He doesn't talk about food much so this is a revelation! Thanks!

asked by Sadassa_Ulna over 5 years ago
Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Just in time for this week's contest:
http://www.copykat.com...
The Prince of Wales is a SF restaurant. I thought this salad was just okay. I was going to play around with it, but haven't yet done it.

Could you pin down some of the ingredients? Sliced button mushrooms, pine nuts, orange segments, red onion slices, maybe? Is it a wilted salad with a hot dressing, or my friend JoAnne's ketchup-sugar-oil-vinegar dressing?

I'm not sure what you're looking for with the "San Fran" reference. But I've made a delicious spinach salad that seems SF-esque in my mind. Baby spinach leaves, avocado, ripe mango, lightly toasted pumpkin seeds, red onions--sliced paper thin-- all dressed with a sweet vinaigrette: EVOO, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, kosher salt, fresh pepper, and a nice dose of honey. Works great with a piece of fish.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

I haven't heard of this term, but I bet you can contact the chef at the school or the rep for the company that provides the food if it's corporate!

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

Thank you betteirene, it's funny because I came across that too and thought it might be a good jumping off point for this week's contest. I doubt the school flambes the salad before serving! This all started when I was asked to bring a salad to dinner on Saturday night and "Mr. Ulna" mentioned the San Fran salad. The salad that ATG117 mentioned sounds like the one he's had, but I will go ahead and follow healthierkitchen's advice about getting him to contact the cafeteria people. If I get their permission I will post it here! Thanks everyone . . .