I'm having a cold buffet luncheon for my tennis team. I'll be making a poached salmon, a spinach salad and i'd love to have a nice wild rice side dish. Cant find one that I like, any suggestions?
Thanks,
Arzee

asked by ArZee over 7 years ago

testkitchenette

How about cooking up a batch of wild rice and then stir in the zest and juice of a lemon or an orange, splash of olive oil, some honey, sundried tomatoes, dried fruit (like cherries, cranberries, dates, and raisins), and some toasted pine nuts. You could serve it warm or room temperature.

prettyPeas

Wild rice salad is a standard side dish at my Aunt's Thanksgiving in Minnesota, the land of wild rice. It is very flexible, but I think that nuts, fruit/tomatoes, and an acidic dressing are key. With the salmon and spinach, I might do something like this:

Cook rice--I like to cook in the oven, covered at 350 F with 2x the amount of salted water. After an hour check on the rice, add water if it looks completely dry. Once ends begin to curl fluff the rice and cook 15 more minutes. Cool.
Combine with dried cherries (or maybe fresh grapes), scallions, napa cabbage (or celery) toasted almonds, and maybe some feta. Combine with a vinaigrette dressing. I like lemon or orange based, but a vinegar/mustard dressing would also work well. My go to lemon dressing uses about 1/4 of the zested lemon peel, juice from one medium lemon, 1/2 tsp mustard, 1 small minced shallot, and about 1/2 olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste and you're good to go.

ellenl

The Silver Palate Rice with(and) Vegetable Salad is delicious with salmon--can sub brown rice if prefer. If you google it comes up.

There is a recipe in the current contest that uses lentils and wild rice: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Raquelita

Cook wild rice with a vegan bouillon cube, or stock of your choice. Dice up some baked savory tofu (tofu-kan) into little cubes, some raisins and sliced roasted, unsalted almonds. I like to toss with a dressing made with sesame oil, light soy sauce, rice vinegar, mustard and a dab of miso (you may want/need to add other seasoning and neutral oil/vinegar to make enough). Savory, nutritious and satisfying, even for those who won't be eating salmon!

Jon Palmer

One of my favorite wild rice salads I ever had involved roasted golden beets, cut into 1/4" cubes. I think it had a little rosemary in there as well. It was delicious!