For a potato salad (using red potatoes) is it best to peel potatoes before or after boiling? or at all?

asked by Sodium Girl over 7 years ago

CookOnTheFly

I leave the skins on - adds color and fiber to the dish. Its all your preference. If you leave the skins on make sure you scrub the potatoes well.

No need to peel them because the skins are so thin.

Rhonda35

I usually leave the skins on, however, if you don't like the skins, you should peel before boiling.

student epicure

i'm in the leave-the-skins-on camp. just scrub and boil, then cut them up!

Sodium Girl

Thank you all! I like the idea of leaving the skins on too!

judyb

I leave the skins on too, they are thin and tender and add to almost any recipe. Too good to waste.

Yep, leave em' on. But to remove them, or partially remove them after they've boiled you can just rub them between your hands.

When making potato salad using red potatoes (like the Chlodnik Inspired Potato Salad that I posted within the past few weeks), I leave the peels on and I cut the potatoes before simmering them. They cook more quickly and the pieces are of a more uniform texture. Handle them carefully once cooked and you won't have any trouble with the skins coming off. (At least I never have any problem.) ;o)

fry it

Skins "on" otherwise who cares if there red

Love to vote - skins on!

Anitalectric
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

I think the skin is the best part :)

Helen's All Night Diner

I never boil my potatoes when making salad. I always steam them and leave the skins on having cut them into the size I want. This gives you a firmer, less water logged end product.

Sodium Girl

Thank you everyone and HellonKitchen - that is brilliant! How long (on average) do you steam them - 15 min?

Just for the record, the reason I boil and don't steam the potatoes is because the cooking water produced by simmering the spuds makes sensational bread. ;o)

Helen's All Night Diner

Hmmm, I don't usually time things... It will depend on how big the pieces of potato are... For a medium dice, I would check in 6 or 7 minutes, then watch closely. Keep testing them. I also toss some salt on them when I start steaming them. Let's see, what else? When they're done, remove the lid & take them off the steamer. Too cool quickly, you can spread them in a single layer on a cookie sheet or big lasagne pan. Have fun!