What r inka seeds?

SKK March 22, 2011

Wow, never heard of it so I had to google it and this is what I found at http://www.inkanatural.com/en/sachainchi/sacha_inchi_oil.html

"The Sacha inchi plant is a small one with small hermaphrodite flowers producing small pods (green at first and brown when ripe) which usually has 6 lobes. Each lobe contains a seed of 15 to 20 mm. width with an average weight of 1 gr.

Sacha inchi seeds are rich in nutrients and essential fatty acids, much more than other oilseed plants known.

This plant is cultivated mainly in the district of Pichanaqui ( Junin - Peru) at the heart of the inca culture, because this land offers the best environmental conditions (the ground is soft and has a high content of minerals and some nutrients).
This land is located at a high altitude - 500 meters above sea level - in the conjunction of the Andes and the Amazonian jungle. The place is protected from excessive rain, flooding and hard winds. Sacha inchi was a wild plant but today it is grown in the Amazonian jungle.

The Amazonian jungle is one of the most valuable of the world, it contains thousands of animal and vegetal species and it represents today more than one fifth of the world's fresh water reserves.

The growing of Sacha inchi plant contribute to the economy and health of the local people."

I am curious of you are buying the seeds to plant or seeds or oil for use with food?

Kristen Miglore March 22, 2011

I did a bit of googling too, and it seems they also go by the name Inca Peanut and are considered a nut-like healthy snack food -- apparently Dr. Oz is a fan: http://bit.ly/ijKxEu

susan g March 22, 2011

Just from the name, I thought it might be quinoa. See how good our foodpicklers are to us!