🔕 🔔

Are anise seeds the same as fennel seeds?

asked by WeeklyGreens over 6 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Nope. Similar flavor, but different. Fennel is milder IMO than anise.

A4be8827 f5cb 451f a922 874bbf7f1aae  wg logo rgb lowres

Thanks to you both. I love that you people are up at this hour thinking about these things just like I am. Crazy food people unite!

Amanda, I look forward to being able to buy just the few tablespoons of fennel seeds I need at the new Rockville WFM. Yippee!

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

No. I found this out last month when I was developing my recipe for basil ice cream. Basil itself was not enough to make the ice cream taste "basil-y" so I added some ground seeds I found in the kitchen for some of that extra licorice flavor that basil has. It was the perfect touch! I had labeled the container "aniseed" but the chef told me the next day it was actually fennel seed.

As a vegan, I love to use fennel to make things taste like sausage. Aniseed is stronger and sweeter and I like toasting the seeds in a warm pan before using them in a recipe. Another look-alike is caraway. They are the smallest of all those seeds and are most often used to flavor rye bread.