What is this part of the cake called?

This is random, but what is the middle (and bottom) layer of the cake called? It’s always a slightly darker brown color and in the middle it has icing between it. I’m asking because to me it tastes better than the actual cake! I always scrape the pan to eat it because it’s so moist. Also, is it possible to create a completely made up of that part? I know that it’s odd but I want to know if it is possible. Thank you.

  • Posted by: Ericka
  • June 16, 2019


Smaug June 18, 2019
Somehow, this all recalls the Seinfeld episode where Elaine went into the muffin top business- the difficulty being what to do with the "stumps".
Stephanie B. June 18, 2019
I like that part too, and also cake trimmings for the same reason - they're sort of a baker's treat! Not sure if you can make something that is just like that left behind cake, but a crepe cake might come close to a the moist top part of cakes that are usually trimmed off. It's not what you're going for but hear me out, I bet you'd enjoy a good sticky toffee pudding (or similar English style pudding/cake) - I made a recipe from David Lebovitz, and smothering a mini cake in sticky toffy basically increased the area of that super moist layer on the outside of cakes plus the inside was wonderfully tender.
creamtea June 17, 2019
Are you talking about the filling? For some cakes, a different confection is made to spread between cake layers than the frosting that is spread or poured on the top and sides. This can be a custard like crème patissière, a mousse, stabilized whipped cream or a citrus or other curd. It affords a textural contrast to the other components and enhances or highlights the flavors. Sometimes a cake layer is sprinkled with liqueur to add flavor and moisture before the filling is spread on. The bottom layer will absorb the moisture from these treatments and perhaps become a shade darker. I don't know that there is a specific term for the bottom layer, though, other than base or bottom layer. You can make a simple, elegant one layer cake, such as Maida Heatter's lovely "Queen Mother's Cake" (from "Maida Heatter's Book of Great Desserts", just google Queen Mother's Cake for the recipe), with a poured ganache topping--no layers, no filling), perhaps moistening first with raspberry or other liqueur if you wish.
Ericka June 17, 2019
No it’s not filling. It’s that moist layer that’s left behind in the pan sometimes.
Jennifer W. June 16, 2019
It sounds like you're describing the portion of cake that is left behind in the cake pan after baking, or a cake plate. This is just the "skin" or outside of the cake that has been browned by the oven. Some bakers cut it off before icing to have more uniform layers. You should try baking a cake to see for yourself as an experiment.
Ericka June 17, 2019
That’s exactly what I’m talking about!
Recommended by Food52