isn't this just semifreddo? or, why call this ice cream when it's not

Why not call it a semifreddo? There's nothing wrong with using the correct word for something. Also, as semifreddo doesn't melt like ice cream, it helps the meal planning.

Stephanie G. July 15, 2019
I thought the eggs in semi freddo were not cooked.

Smaug July 15, 2019
I've seen both with whipped egg whites (uncooked) and with egg yolk mixtures whipped in a double boiler. Also with both.

Liz D. July 15, 2019
Whatever you call it, I want to try it :-)

Eric K. July 15, 2019
:)

Smaug July 15, 2019
This doesn't seem to really qualify as semifreddo, but not sure I'd call it ice cream either. Recipe writers have a strong tendency to assign familiar names to dishes, whether they really fit or not- presumably this is for marketing purposes. At this point, the dividing line between pizza and taco is hard to determine, chili seems to be anything red in a bowl, anything with lime is "key lime pie"...

Eric K. July 15, 2019
Ha, true.

Eric K. July 14, 2019
Hi! I think semifreddo usually has eggs and is cooked. But if calling it a semifreddo makes you happy, then feel free. For what it's worth, I would say that this recipe melts like ice cream and tastes like ice cream.