Our NYC Holiday Market is open (!!!) for the weekend. Come on by »
🔕 🔔

What West Coast variety or varieties of apple can be substituted for Cortlands, specifically for use in baking? Thank you. ;o)

asked about 6 years ago
B9464ce6 76f7 41db a563 e5ad504521bf  2016 04 05 23 37 37

I like Pink Ladies but they are different from Cortland on the other hand Braeburn is good for pies, Emipire would be good all around. Idared, Jonathans and McIntosh would all be similar to Cortlands. I also think Golden Delicious are great if you can get them from a small orchard that would have the original strain not the industrial commercial strain you get in the grocery.

Thanks for the info!! I'm totally with you on small orchard v agri-apple Golden Delicious apples. I grew up eating Goldens off an ancient tree. What a great-tasting apple that was, and quite a bit more tart, and crisp, than the commercial varieties. I had a JonaMac in Wisconsin that was pretty good, and the Honey Crisp I tasted recently was fabulous. My favorites though lately are Mutsus, which I believe are the same or are perhaps are very closely related to Crispins. Sweet and tart all in one apple. Love it. I don't think we get Braeburns or Empires or Pink Ladies here. I'll need to pay a bit more attention and visit all the apple vendors now, not just the one I typically patronize. ;o)

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

Monsieur hirschfield straight off named my favorite apple; pink lady. You can find them in California but the season may be over.

67da29df 0253 44dd 98a1 250b49e519a4  hilary sp1

Have you tried Northern Spy? I love this cookbook Rustic Fruit Desserts- the authors are based out of Oregon. They always recommend Northern Spy as a good foundational apple.

I can't get Northern Spy that often, and I usually use Cortland or McIntosh instead.

96a14a05 15da 42e2 8a19 f23e01dc2bbc  5254970837 532a2f2e67

My father-in-law is big in the apple growing community in northern Washington state. He says Gravensteins make a fantastic apple pie and I agree. I've seen lots at the markets here in Northern California.