Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Recipe Writing: Spontaneity vs. Instruction?

I’m new to recipe writing. I am also the kind of cook who “adds a bit of this” and “puts that in too.” Generally I have no idea what measurements I use when cooking. And I tend to change the ingredients often, which also alters the measure. When submitting to Food52 my strategy has been to write down what I fix for that particular dish, and to take precise measurements that appear to be an approximation of what I add when I am cooking for myself. Is this a good approach? Or is there a general philosophy for recipe writing that I am not applying to my process? I’d love some thoughts or advice. Thanks!

asked by checker over 5 years ago

I really don't know much about this from a writing perspective, but as a reader and user of recipes, I appreciate it when the author gives specific information about variations or substitutions, and what can be omitted, and with what effect. Also, although I know a breezy writing style is very much in vogue these days (especially the constant use of action verbs), I find them silly and distracting. They make it seem like either the writer is trying too hard, or the writer is dumbing down the recipe. I know what it means to "beat well," so just saying that works best for me. Descriptions of what the end product of a step is supposed to look like visually, on the other hand (e.g., "beat until frothy," or, "beat until the eggs and sugar are a pale lemon color"), especially in baking, I find helpful. And I find sentimentality to be not just tiresome, but tedious. But that's just me. I actually find the level of commentary and instruction in the old Joy of Cooking editions to be just about right, by the way. And I think your approach of actually measuring items precisely, and writing them down so you can share them here is a great idea, especially given the international readership, and the difficulties people who are not native speakers -- as well as people who don't cook often, or haven't enough experience to be able to use their own judgment and common sense -- might have with non-standard expressions of measurement. Good question, though. ;o)

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I mostly agree with AJ and think your approach is excellent. Recipe writing is both art and science, and clear instructions make life easier for those who use the recipes. I admire careful writing and exact measurements, especially in baking, but really anywhere that they're used. I know I can adjust to my taste. I recently tested 3 recipes, and when I do that, I follow the instructions to the letter as much as possible. I liked all three, but would have changed all of them a bit if I weren't testing. One of them left an ingredient out of the instructions, and I forgot to add it. It was still good, but I gave the writer feedback to edit the recipe. I am guilty of being a sentimentalist-- a lot of my recipes come from family favorites and I frequently share (overshare?) stories about my family--mostly because I love this community and feel like I want to share. (I also love reading everyone else's stories and spend way too much time on the site doing that.) I do think it's better to give precise instructions for measurement and offer the opportunity to make variations (like maybe you've made it a few times and changed some spices or something--you could share that. Sounds to me like you're doing a great job.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Great question. I think your general approach is right for food52. I haven't uploaded recipes to food52, because my approach is most often to research a topic and then cook on my own. To submit as many recipes as a lot of people in this community manage to do, I'd have to have someone follow me around measuring. AJ's suggestion of including alternates can only take you so far. I admire your discipline if you can make yourself record measurements, even knowing that you probably wouldn't do it exactly the same each time. As for sentimentality, I think that one of the most important aspect of cooking is story-telling. When we're sharing food, we're sharing our stories. Sometimes, the food52 recipes I like least (precious few!) seem a little rootless--created within the week and written down without an enriching story behind them. Best of luck to you as you find your voice.

What a lovely question. I agree with all three cooks and writers above, all of whose writings and recipes I read often. It is important for the users of recipes to have clear instructions and measurements, but I also try to indicate where they have some leeway to substitute something, or increase/decrease a measurement. And I love the stories behind recipes! Anyone can open a book or pull up a web page and follow a recipe; foods which come from someone's life and become part of someone else's are so much more than recipes. Have fun with this!

F5da3dff 3351 48af 8ecb 875f290243f9  checker

Thank you for all the answers everyone. It sounds like, as with craft of cooking, I just need to be observant and adaptable when it comes to creating the written recipe. (If you can't tell from this, I majored in English with a Creative Writing Poetry focus, and I can be a little preoccupied with the writing process.) Great advice!

A34f51f3 34e5 4723 acab 9b7ab83a7758  dmglvsm2

@checker -- you're definitely not alone in your style of cooking (which is also my favorite way to cook!) You should check out the book Ratio by Michael Ruhlman, and The Improvisational Cook -- both have dedicated their book subject to cooking without a set recipe :-)

445e20c3 ae7c 4384 a5f7 c63a3b70db4d  img 2825

Thanks for your question @checker. I struggle with the same issues. I almost never cook a recipe the same way twice. This is a problem for one of my daughter's who is a very black & white cook, so I try to write down measurements for her, with strict instructions on what can be omitted/added, etc. I like the creativity of cooking my way. I agree with all of the comments. Thanks!!

It's nice to know that other people struggle with this issue. Every time I submit a recipe I think, "when I make this is is wonderful, what if I didn't get the measurements right and it is terrible." It is a learning process, and these comments help. Thank you!

Fae0d6f7 8a18 416a 87a4 62ef806db1e7  41527 674956185 319240 n

I too have not submitted a recipe because I haven't written down what I do...even when I bake I tend keep it in my head or at best add post-it notes to existing recipes that have inspired something different. Bad for getting consistent results, I know.

Thinking about getting into the habit of making useful notes and then documenting recipes that work so that they can be shared, a couple of weeks ago I came across a relatively succinct checklist/suggestion at http://www.cookingupfun...

In terms of process, there appears to be a book on this genre out there...The Recipe Writer's Handbook, published by Wiley. I haven't gotten around to checking it out of the library so I can't recommend it but you never know, it might have tips that are useful.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

What a great question. I was taught to cook by people who for the most part did not precisely measure ingredients. When I submit a recipe, it's a struggle because I also have to play with exact measurements that require me to work backward, as it were.
For me, a benefit of studying this site has been discovering how precise measurements of some ingredients like spices and other inclusions affect the outcome of a recipe.