cooking a flan in stainless steel?

I'm making a flan, which cooks in a bain marie - usually I use pyrex or ceramic dish but I don't have the right size. I have a stainless steel pot that is the right size - can I use it? Would impact flavor or cooking?

• Posted by: Nancy
  • November 27, 2019

HalfPint November 27, 2019
Hi Nancy,

I have to disagree with Lisa C. Metal is a good heat conductor, much better than glass or ceramic. That said though, glass or ceramic is preferred for flan because it is a good insulator. The entire flan would cook more slowly and evenly with the glass/ceramic. It gets tricky with stainless steel because it is a better heat conductor. You do run the risk of overcooking the outer perimeter of the flan. I would use a bain marie and set the temperature lower than the recipe. There's no harm in a slow bake and it would insure that you don't overcook.

Nancy November 27, 2019
Thank you - that is helpful!

Lisa C. November 27, 2019
Hi Nancy, yes, the stainless steel pot will work! Note that metal doesn't transfer as much heat as glass so you may need to higher the baking temperature if the recipe you're working from is for a glass pan.

Nancy November 27, 2019
Or, use original recommended temp for slow gradual baking, and leave in oven longer - if and as needed.

Nancy November 27, 2019
Thank you so much! Appreciate the guidance!