🔕 🔔

A Delightful Dilemma

A friend introduced me to the French Cheese Shop in the Mahana Yehuda Market in Jerusalem this morning. I now have a pound of the best butter I have ever tasted. Since my cat broke my toaster (he's a bread thief), slathering it on toast isn't an option. So - what to do? I need a recipe that showcases the butter flavor. I'm stuck on Danish pastry or brioche -- but would love some other ideas.

asked by Melusine over 6 years ago

Shortbread or sables.

What a dilemma! Pound cake comes to mind, but if you are interested in a savory route, I suggest creating a savory butter (e.g., dill or peppercorn) to use on grilled fish, potatoes, asparagus, and other in-season veggies. Even the right recipe of chicken marsala showcases butter really nicely.

But you also can't go wrong with a nice pastry. Have fun!

B8c85549 23af 4014 8234 ae1da9266ce9  burnt offering

Another savory idea is a classic buerre blanc or bearnaise sauce over lightly grilled fish or steak.

6f614b0c 899e 467f b032 d68711f70a39  2011 03 07 18 28 41 870

If you are feeling adventurous, you could may The Butter Dumplings. Eliminate the sage if you want to experience just the butter...

Seriously not kosher (you are in Jerusalem, right) but I love a crisp baguette with ham, thinly sliced cornichons and lots of butter.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Spread on baguette slices, with radishes and sea salt. Slathered on really fresh rye bread, also with a sprinkling of salt (just the thought brings back my Russian grandma); the same, eaten with raw oysters with a simple mignonette sauce, and you're in Paris. Folded into crepes with a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkling of coarse sugar.

But don't let your lack of a toaster deter you - do it in the broiler, just watch it carefully. Toast dripping with good butter is one of life's best affordable luxuries.

Gnocchi with a sage butter sauce would be divine.

Plain rice with a big pat of that butter would be my dream dish!

Oh, I forgot to say Popcorn!