A Delightful Dilemma

A friend introduced me to the French Cheese Shop in the Mahana Yehuda Market in Jerusalem this morning. I now have a pound of the best butter I have ever tasted. Since my cat broke my toaster (he's a bread thief), slathering it on toast isn't an option. So - what to do? I need a recipe that showcases the butter flavor. I'm stuck on Danish pastry or brioche -- but would love some other ideas.

plevee
plevee April 3, 2011

Shortbread or sables.

tizzle
tizzle April 3, 2011

What a dilemma! Pound cake comes to mind, but if you are interested in a savory route, I suggest creating a savory butter (e.g., dill or peppercorn) to use on grilled fish, potatoes, asparagus, and other in-season veggies. Even the right recipe of chicken marsala showcases butter really nicely.

But you also can't go wrong with a nice pastry. Have fun!

Burnt Offerings
Burnt Offerings April 3, 2011

Another savory idea is a classic buerre blanc or bearnaise sauce over lightly grilled fish or steak.

Helen's All Night Diner

If you are feeling adventurous, you could may The Butter Dumplings. Eliminate the sage if you want to experience just the butter...

pierino April 3, 2011

Seriously not kosher (you are in Jerusalem, right) but I love a crisp baguette with ham, thinly sliced cornichons and lots of butter.

amysarah April 3, 2011

Spread on baguette slices, with radishes and sea salt. Slathered on really fresh rye bread, also with a sprinkling of salt (just the thought brings back my Russian grandma); the same, eaten with raw oysters with a simple mignonette sauce, and you're in Paris. Folded into crepes with a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkling of coarse sugar.

But don't let your lack of a toaster deter you - do it in the broiler, just watch it carefully. Toast dripping with good butter is one of life's best affordable luxuries.

StacyG
StacyG April 3, 2011

Gnocchi with a sage butter sauce would be divine.

Soozll
Soozll April 4, 2011

Plain rice with a big pat of that butter would be my dream dish!

Helen's All Night Diner

Oh, I forgot to say Popcorn!