🔕 🔔

best béchamel sauce recipe please

asked by @iChuckles over 6 years ago

9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

Do I assume you have the whole roux thing down? If so, the milk part can run the gamut from skin to double cream and everything in between. The richer the milk, the richer the sauce. Don't forget a bouquet garni. I use to also take a whole peeled onion and stud it with one whole clove and drop it in. Let it cook for at least an hour, if not more. Sometimes I would also finish with a pinch of fresh grated nutmeg. Just some ideas.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

http://www.food52.com/recipes... This link is to a great sauce that also gives ideas on making thicker, etc. This would be a good addition to usuba dashi's useful comments.

7d2e9fbe d94b 4831 9a41 e7e53d9676f8  img 0061

The recipe SKK links has all the hallmarks of a great, traditional bechamel--equal parts flour and butter by weight, and warming the milk before whisking in. You can always add less milk at the beginning, then more to thin to your desired consistency at the end.

Recently my sister called me up with this question. She was making mac and cheese and her sauce was lumpy. Easy diagnosis, she used cold milk and dumped it in all at once. Scald the milk, and whisk it into the roux gradually. Personally I like to grate in a little nutmeg.