What is a ramp? Never heard of that before in a food context...

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 7 years ago

Peter
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

It's sort of a cross between a mild onion, garlic, and scallions. They're delicious, only available for a month or so, and can be fried, sauteed, pickled... pretty much anything.

these are ramps. they are wild leeks. they grow in the woods near wetlands and start popping up in early springtime.

great photo, Mrs. L!

and fwiw, Ramps should be available in the greenmarkets in a week or two.