🔕 🔔

Making a New York Style Cheesecake for passover-delicious! The filling calls for adding 1 TB flour. how to substitute or can I omit it?

Ingredients: For the filling:
Five 8-ounce packages Philadelphia-brand cream cheese, room temperature
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon unbleached all purpose flour

asked by Eydie Desser over 6 years ago

Add an extra egg yolk. The color will be even more beautiful, and the texture so silky. And don't ever make it with flour!

7d2e9fbe d94b 4831 9a41 e7e53d9676f8  img 0061

I agree with boulangere, the texture of cheesecake is significantly silkier without a binder like flour. If you want a firmer cheesecake I would imagine something like tapioca starch would work--I know it does for my non-cheesecake custards.