Spring main course

What meat would be good for a spring dinner for a large number of people? I am already considering a leg of lamb but was wondering if anyone had ideas for another good main dish to serve 10+ people. I'd like to be prep ahead of time, but don't want to do a stew or other wintry dish. Thanks.

• Posted by: PippaG
  • May 1, 2011

mrslarkin May 1, 2011

Roast chicken is great any time of year. I'd roast 2 for that many guests.

boulangere May 1, 2011

Oh, yes, a couple of roast chickens would be a great addition to your leg of lamb. Perhaps think about making gingerroot's Late Night Coffee Brined Chicken.

Anitalectric
Anitalectric May 2, 2011

This pasta recipe by food blogger Cathy Erway screams spring and literally just made my stomach rumble: http://noteatingoutinny.com/2011/05/02/spaetzle-with-ramps-and-crimini-mushrooms/

ChefDaddy
ChefDaddy May 2, 2011

If you were to serve leg of lamb, wouldn't it be braised? My point is that braised food is not my idea of spring eating. I like the roast chicken idea with lots of veggie dishes.

PippaG
PippaG May 2, 2011

No, I would marinate and then roast it and serve it in thin slices (hopefully rare to med-rare), with some spring vegetables and legume salads along side. I do love a good roast chicken but wanted to try something I hadn't cooked or served before. The spaetzle does sound delicious. Thanks for all your input!

ChefDaddy
ChefDaddy May 2, 2011

Sounds good PippaG! Great idea!

ChefJune May 2, 2011

There's a great leg of lamb in Book One of food52! ;) Leg of lamb, Rack of lamb, Navarin of Lamb are all particularly springy.

betteirene
betteirene May 2, 2011

My meatless Monday dinner tonight is in the oven--it's al Fredo lasagna with snap peas, tiny diced carrots, brocolli and a bit of kale. It smells like it would taste wonderful with a slice of roasted lamb next to it.

jenmmcd
jenmmcd May 5, 2011

I don't know if you'll see this as I'm 3 days late to the party, but I love a grilled lamb with balsamic and lavendar. My recipe is close to this one and I also butterfly the leg. I then reduce the marinade to accompany the lamb.

http://www.urbangriller.com/Recipes/Lavender%20Lamb.pdf

Bevi
Bevi May 6, 2011

Grilled lamb chops smeared with some homemade pesto, with a little extra pesto served on the side.