Spring main course

What meat would be good for a spring dinner for a large number of people? I am already considering a leg of lamb but was wondering if anyone had ideas for another good main dish to serve 10+ people. I'd like to be prep ahead of time, but don't want to do a stew or other wintry dish. Thanks.

asked by PippaG over 7 years ago

Roast chicken is great any time of year. I'd roast 2 for that many guests.

Oh, yes, a couple of roast chickens would be a great addition to your leg of lamb. Perhaps think about making gingerroot's Late Night Coffee Brined Chicken.

Anitalectric
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

This pasta recipe by food blogger Cathy Erway screams spring and literally just made my stomach rumble: http://noteatingoutinny.com/2011/05/02/spaetzle-with-ramps-and-crimini-mushrooms/

ChefDaddy

If you were to serve leg of lamb, wouldn't it be braised? My point is that braised food is not my idea of spring eating. I like the roast chicken idea with lots of veggie dishes.

PippaG

No, I would marinate and then roast it and serve it in thin slices (hopefully rare to med-rare), with some spring vegetables and legume salads along side. I do love a good roast chicken but wanted to try something I hadn't cooked or served before. The spaetzle does sound delicious. Thanks for all your input!

ChefDaddy

Sounds good PippaG! Great idea!

There's a great leg of lamb in Book One of food52! ;) Leg of lamb, Rack of lamb, Navarin of Lamb are all particularly springy.

betteirene

My meatless Monday dinner tonight is in the oven--it's al Fredo lasagna with snap peas, tiny diced carrots, brocolli and a bit of kale. It smells like it would taste wonderful with a slice of roasted lamb next to it.

jenmmcd

I don't know if you'll see this as I'm 3 days late to the party, but I love a grilled lamb with balsamic and lavendar. My recipe is close to this one and I also butterfly the leg. I then reduce the marinade to accompany the lamb.

http://www.urbangriller.com/Recipes/Lavender%20Lamb.pdf

Bevi

Grilled lamb chops smeared with some homemade pesto, with a little extra pesto served on the side.