Duh, I'm going to ask foodpickle Speaking of #ramen, is it true that rinsing the noodles twice will take away a little of the bad stuff?

TiggyBee
TiggyBee October 1, 2010

What bad part exactly are you trying to get rid of?

anyone
anyone October 1, 2010

My question to your question is what bad stuff? Is starch considered bad these days? The starch on pasta is good for sauce adhesion if served hot. If served cold I usaully rinse to stop the cooking process.

EricandAm
EricandAm October 1, 2010

OK I should clarify my question. I meant the 3.5 grams of saturated fat. I believe that ramen noodles are fried, and therefore they may have oils on the noodles that could be rinsed. I hope that helps!

anyone
anyone October 1, 2010

Well if rinsing would remove the oil, wouldn't boiling them that you have to do any way. If your worried about the fat content I would just use plain speghetti. No much fat there and just as easy.

TiggyBee
TiggyBee October 1, 2010

I'm pretty sure the top ramen noodles have the fat already absorbed into them and it would be impossible to remove it. Why not still use the flavor packet, but add some soba noodles instead of the packaged ones? You'll still get the flavor, but not as much of the junk.

EricandAm
EricandAm October 1, 2010

Thanks guys- good tips! I'll experiement with spaghetti and soba noodles.

mattius
mattius October 1, 2010

I think the packets still have more than a days worth of salt. Might want to look into that too.

pierino October 1, 2010

Wait a minute! Are you talking about those 99cent packets that you just add to boiling water? Spices in a separate pack? Could we just define our terms here. Are you cooking this in a college dorm?

AntoniaJames October 1, 2010

You can buy ramen-type noodles in Chinatown (the one near me, at least) that come in little round stacked serving-sized bricks, that have almost no oil on or in them. They're fabulous. They don't come with flavor packets, which I'd never use anyway, and they cost practically nothing. ;o)