Shrimp 'n grits! Failure!!

I've been trying to duplicate the shrimp and grits I was introduced to in Charleston recently to no avail. While my shrimp turn out well, I've been using the recommended stone ground grits and they just don't seem to ever cook to perfection -- or even close. Don't want to go to instant grits, do I? Last night I cooked them as instructed in Craig Claiborne's Southern Cooking. Although he doesn't specify stone ground, that's what I bought, so.......I must have cooked them for nearly an hour and they were still on the watery side. Help!!!!

• Posted by: Fern
  • May 14, 2011

Stephanie G
Stephanie G May 14, 2011

You can just use regular grits if you don'tt want to use instant or stone ground. They take about 20-25 minutes.

Frontalgirl
Frontalgirl May 14, 2011

What was the ratio of water to grits? I usually cook them as 1 cup grits to 2 cups water and I only ever use stone ground.

Frontalgirl
Frontalgirl May 14, 2011

I forgot to say that if the grits get too thick as they cook, I stir in cream or half and half. It' sooo good! As we say in the South..it'll make you wanna slap your mama;)

Fern
Fern May 14, 2011

My problem isn't that they get too thick, it's that they don't seem to get thick enough. I've used cream and I've used cheese and butter --- ratios follow recipe directions exactly. Do the stone ground take longer than regular grits? I'm going to try one from Epicurious this weekend which calls for stone ground grits but they're cooked in the top of a double boiler.

Summer of Eggplant

Fern - For the stone ground grits I use a 4:1 ratio, 2 cups milk, 2 cups water to 1 cup grits. Simmer for about 20-30 minutes keeping some liquid on hand in case the grits get too sticky. I add cheese at the very end right before serving.

Sam1148 May 14, 2011

It can take longer than you think...it really depends on the Grind of the grits.
Here's a good recipe with pictures from Frank Stitt of Highlands Restaurant in Birmingham.
http://gastronomyblog.com/2010/01/07/frank-stitts-creamy-grits/

He does wonderful things with those! I had them once topped with sauteed snapper, topped with wild mushrooms, matchstick cut Benton ham, and chives.
(that's not on the menu anymore and isn't in his cookbook...I must try and replicate)

Midge
Midge May 14, 2011

When do you add the salt? Don't add it until the end because it apparently interferes with the corn's ability to absorb liquid.

I always cook stone ground grits using Anson Mills method and I''ve never had a problem. In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup of water just to a boil; add 1 cup of milk and 1 TBS butter. Stir in 2/3 cup of grits, stir until it comes back to a boil. Turn the heat down to low and cover. Watch it and add more milk as needed. When the grits are creamy and thick (at least 45 min, but it could be an hour), add salt and pepper to taste.