What is your favorite lentil recipe?

francesca gilberti

This is a favorite around the office -- it is so simple and delicious. Definitely comfort food: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

AntoniaJames May 18, 2011

I happen to like, and use all the time, my own recipes for various lentil soups and stews. Those that I've posted here can be found by typing into the recipe search box "antoniajames lentils" (without the quotes). Also, keep in mind that brown masoor dal and French green or "puy" lentils can easily be substituted for one another. And, for the record, I really like the mujaddara with spiced yogurt referred to in another response. ;o)

sarah k.
sarah k. May 18, 2011

I keep lentils in the pantry at all times, and use them for both planned and last-minute meals, since they cook in less than an hour. My family really likes lentil soup with onions, carrots, celery sauteed in butter, then chicken broth and cooked lentils, and a bunch of breakfast or sweet or spicy Italian sausage, plus lots of pepper. And whatever else you have that needs to be tossed in. Some leftover tomato paste, or half a can of chopped tomatoes, chopped parsley, fresh thyme, chopped zucchini, or even chopped cabbage. It's really nice, every time. Especially with great crusty bread, toasted and heavily buttered.

ChefJune May 19, 2011

Love lentils, and my favorite recipe is a terrine. Amazingly low in fat and high in flavor and every other good thing, If I omit the gelatin, it makes a sensational lentil salad!

sarah k.
sarah k. May 19, 2011

ChefJune, I read your response, and totally mixed up terrine in my head with tagine. I thought, what the devil? I've never heard of tagine with gelatin! :) I've never had a lentil terrine. Do you have a favorite recipe? Sounds intriguing. Actually, I'm fairly certain I've never had *any* sort of terrine.

ChefJune May 19, 2011

@sarah k: send me your email I'll send you the recipe. ;)

Jean | Delightful Repast

Here's my favorite lentil recipe (one of my own):
http://delightfulrepast.blogspot.com/2011/03/vegetarian-shepherds-pie.html