My silicone baking sheet liners are sticky - it's like there is a film covering them. Is this a sign that they are past their prime (I have only had them 9-10 months)? If not, how can I clean them? I am worried about scrubbing them too hard and damaging the surface.

• Posted by: emilyv
  • October 3, 2010

Amanda Hesser October 3, 2010

Have you tried putting them on the top shelf of your dishwasher?

emilyv
emilyv October 3, 2010

I have never put them in the dishwasher, but I'll give it a try tonight, thanks for the suggestion!

Madame Sel
Madame Sel October 4, 2010

I have a silicone liner (Silpat) and it's normal for it to have that slick sticky feeling to it. When I first got it, it stated that this was normal. This is what their website said about it...

How can this be non-stick when it feels kind of tacky?
SILPAT has inherent non-stick properties so greasing is never needed. Once you use it, you will see why it works.

So don't fret! It's NORMAL!

emilyv
emilyv October 4, 2010

Thanks, Madame Sel. It just felt dirty, the two that I have will almost stick together if they are stored on top of each other! I am happy to hear that this is normal though. Cheers.

barbaraMcN
barbaraMcN October 14, 2010

I wash mine by hand, and then store them (rolled up) between layers of paper towel. They feel a little sticky -- but the stickiness doesn't spread to anything else in the drawer.