🔕 🔔

general rule of thumb baking with dark cookie sheets?

Hey guys,
Been baking with my dark cookie sheets for a few years, so I should be learned in this subject---but alas, I am not. I feel like all my baked goods come out 10% off (a little over done on the outside, underdone the inside) especially for thicker baked goods like scones, biscuits, etc. I know there's the whole lower the oven by 25 degrees, but that seems like a shaky rule. Putting the oven rack one shelf higher might work as well right?? Using parchment paper/silicone must make a different as well. Any thoughts on this??

asked by Lizabeth almost 2 years ago

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I know what you mean. I've had dark cookie sheets for 20 years and still sometimes get fooled. Lots of people suggest the 25 degree alteration, but I don't find it works any better than you do. Parchment/silicone does help, and I've sometimes had luck with doubling up, using 2 sheets instead of one. King Arthur has a good analysis of bake times http://www.kingarthurflour...