🔕 🔔

Light birthday cake, lo-cal, lo-fat

I want to make a show stopping birthday cake for my daughter in law, but she is on Jenny Craig. I was thinking of something like a "souffle" cake, but all the recipes are very dense, more brownie like than souffle like. Thanks for any suggestions...

asked by Lehnhoca over 6 years ago

E3958d08 8f15 43c7 bcf6 3cd371787cb4  logo

What about an angel food cake topped with fresh berries (and possibly cool whip)?

The cake is light (mostly egg whites, no oil) but there is a decent amount of sugar. But a slice shouldn't kill anyone's diet...

Wholefoods user icon

You can even make an angelfood cake chocolate by switching about 10 to 15 % of the flour for coco powder. you can use stevia sweetener instead of sugar to lower the glycemic load a bit.

You can always leave the egg out of a comercial mix and change out the oil for applesauce, equal measure.
The egg isn't needed at all, but was added to the origional instructions to make the baker feel like they really cooked.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

Their website offers this recipe for light vanilla cake: 1 pkg. white cake mix, 1 2/3 cups water, 3 egg whites, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 teaspon Butter Buds or butter flavoring. Mix ingredients, pour into 13 x 9 pan and bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

I'm with Frannycakes with the Angelfood cake with fresh berries. So light, pretty, tasty. and no preservatives. (Butterbuds? ugh.)

How about a pavlova with berries?