Our little rice cooker in a *new* red—but not for long! Shop now » details
Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. While supplies last.
🔕 🔔

what to do with lamb bones?

I have some bones from a boneless leg of lamb that i would like to do something with. I'm going to make lamb pastrami with the leg, but i would like to make some sort of jelly or spreadable to put on the sandwiches made from the bones. Any ideas?

asked by yani1shu over 5 years ago

mmmm I would use it to make broth... It would make some delicious soup!

Thanks for the response. I'm looking for something a little bit different than broth.

Wholefoods user icon

to make a jelly you might need a few pork bones to amp up the gelatin content. simmer them for 4 to 6 hours and reduce the mixture until it feels waxy on the tongue. it will thickly coat the back of a cold spoon.
twards the end of the simmer time; that is when you start adding the aromatics that you want the jellie to exhibit. I would immagine you would want mint and parsley with a shot of vinegar flavoring with the heady lamb aroma. let it cool until set. should be awesome with the lamb pastrami.
It would be along a similar technique path as to head cheese or pickled pork.

Thanks! That's exactly what i was looking for. I have never made headcheese or pickled pork so i had no idea how to go about it and i can't find any recipes online for making jelly, though so many restaurants now make it.

Wholefoods user icon

If you are looking for recipes to make the measurments a little more concrete. Look up aspics or aspic gelee. you will want soft aspic recipes.
good luck!

28a7c604 46f2 4ce3 a542 d4602c390b01  p1010511 1

You can also try this great "grilled yogurt" from Ideas in Food: http://blog.ideasinfood...