what to do with lamb bones?

I have some bones from a boneless leg of lamb that i would like to do something with. I'm going to make lamb pastrami with the leg, but i would like to make some sort of jelly or spreadable to put on the sandwiches made from the bones. Any ideas?

KingKelsey
KingKelsey May 26, 2011

mmmm I would use it to make broth... It would make some delicious soup!

yani1shu
yani1shu May 26, 2011

Thanks for the response. I'm looking for something a little bit different than broth.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

to make a jelly you might need a few pork bones to amp up the gelatin content. simmer them for 4 to 6 hours and reduce the mixture until it feels waxy on the tongue. it will thickly coat the back of a cold spoon.
twards the end of the simmer time; that is when you start adding the aromatics that you want the jellie to exhibit. I would immagine you would want mint and parsley with a shot of vinegar flavoring with the heady lamb aroma. let it cool until set. should be awesome with the lamb pastrami.
It would be along a similar technique path as to head cheese or pickled pork.

yani1shu
yani1shu May 26, 2011

Thanks! That's exactly what i was looking for. I have never made headcheese or pickled pork so i had no idea how to go about it and i can't find any recipes online for making jelly, though so many restaurants now make it.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

If you are looking for recipes to make the measurments a little more concrete. Look up aspics or aspic gelee. you will want soft aspic recipes.
good luck!

sgoyette
sgoyette May 27, 2011

You can also try this great "grilled yogurt" from Ideas in Food: http://blog.ideasinfood.com/ideas_in_food/2011/04/grilled-yogurt.html