what to do with leftover roast lamb?

I made a boneless roast leg of lamb and have lots of leftovers. Any ideas, besides lamb sandwiches?

asked by mrslarkin almost 7 years ago

Shalini

Make shepherd's pie! I always aspire to do this the next time I make roast lamb, after years it still hasn't happened. Hope you try it! http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/hugh-s-mum-s-shepherd-s-pie-recipe

Midge

Lamb hash, with diced potatoes and onions. Delicious with HP sauce!

healthierkitchen

what is HP sauce?

Midge

It's a brown sauce that's tasty with fries or Cornish pasties. Sort of the British ketchup? You can usually find it in the international section of supermarkets. Nigella Lawson has a recipe for brown sauce in one of her cookbooks that I'm sure is better than the HP version.

HP (House of Parliament) is a table sauce/condiment similar to A1.

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Sandwiches! Roast lamb, soft cheese (like brei), and some sort of sweet heat. I really like the blackberry-serano jam at Whole Foods.

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

And I know you said no sandwiches but I couldn't help myself! Sorry, complete inability to follow directions. :)

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Lamb and cabbage or spinach stew with tomato, onion, garlic ,paprika

oh, great ideas! thank you!!

Midge, never heard of HP sauce - will have to look for that.

gonna go make a sandwich now - i'm hungry.

My brain is working overtime here, mrsL! Fry up some thin eggplant slices until nice and crisp. Slice the lamb and cut the slices to fit the eggplant pieces. Top with some Fontina Val d'Aosta cheese (or other flavorful semi-soft cheese to your taste) and broil until the cheese is browned and bubbling. (Buon Apetito!) ;)

MTMitchell

Make a salad of sorts with red onion, artichokes hearts, tomatoes, cucumbers, black olives, red wine vinegar and/or lemon juice and some olive oil, parsley, salt and pepper. Warm up a pita. Wrap some lamb, some plain Greggk yogurt, and the salad up in the pita...I know you said beyond sandwiches, but this is really my favorite leftover lamb recipe.

Bevi

If you have some rare meat, cut it in chunks and make aargersi's lamb and sweet potato stew - I swear by it.

I've made variations of this salad with leftover lamb - leg, shoulder, any roast: http://www.nigella.com... A little sesame oil is good in the dressing too, any kind of greens, and a lime wedge to squeeze on top.

It is snowing and we have freezing rain here in Seattle. Unusual weather for us. So when I read your question my first thought was "Send it to me!"

fiveandspice
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

Cut it into cubes and stir it into a thick sauce made with onion, garlic, diced canned tomato, spinach, oregano, and cinnamon. Serve over orzo, and sprinkle with feta and chopped kalamata olives!

SeaJambon

1) cut into large cubes, stick a toothpick in it, and serve as an appetizer along with Tzisiki (sorry about the spelling...)
2) take a wrap, add some lettuce, tomato, red pepper and onion, throw on strips of lamb, add Tziski and wrap (okay, almost a sandwich)

I don't know why, because I've never used lamb in this way, but when I read your question, i thought of empanadas.

Empanadas with some potato in the mix would be a great idea. I also like the "gyro" type suggestions that have been made.