🔕 🔔

Asparagus -- do you snap?

When I was 18, I was in Belgium during asparagus season. White asparagus, and it was usually the main dish. We peeled. Mounds and mounds of peels. For a lot of years here in the U.S., I've had plenty of luck with the snapping technique. But I recognize what Amanda and Merrill have said, that there's not any proof that the stalk snaps at the right place.

We're coming to the end of a great asparagus year. I've eaten it asparagus every day for weeks and weeks--steamed roasted, in butter, in salads, in almost every absurdly addictive form I can think of. I snap. Is that wrong?

E29013c2 3e90 48ab b297 41e445e1e562  sunshine small
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

Don't tell Amanda & Merrill, but I essentially snap. Ok, technically I don't even bother to snap. I just take a chef's knife and lop off the bottom inch or so -- more or less exactly what would be lost to a snap... but a lot faster because I can do the entire bundle of asparagus in 1 stroke while it's still in the rubber band. :-)

Don't tell anyone, but I snap with a knife also.

8c848bd6 b952 44c4 93c3 bc8465a6fd74  phone 176

I like to take the rubber band off, even the tops, and cut off the bottom portion to about 5 inches. Use a Sharpie marker for a guide. This makes them look even and more aesthetically pleasing. This is pretty much a standard practice in restaurants. Most of the asparagus we get is not too fibrous unless it is unusually large, so it's not a big issue. However, I've been told that you always want to peel white asparagus.

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

I prefer to eat asparagus raw, especially when it's in season. Maybe the weird thing that people don't like about the bottom part of asparagus happens when you cook it, because I cut it almost down to the bottom and it is still delicious and tender.

Wholefoods user icon

with peter on this one... Snapping wastes too much of the good stuff, that I end up using the snap rejects perfectly well with other dishes.. just cut off a cm from the bottom and peel the tough parts & use it.

I toss the ends into stock.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I don't snap. There still some bit bits that break off with the 'snap'. Just a 1inch or so cut to get rid of the woody stems for thick bits.

Just trim the stalks with a veggie peeler..to to remove hard peel and expose the tender goodness that would be snapped away.

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

I just did this tonight with my five-year-old grandson. He snapped, and I took all the trimmings, sliced off the dead ends and shaved the stalks with a peeler. The shavings curled up nicely in a bowl of ice water. We used them to garnish the salad and the pasta.

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

I do not snap. If the asparagus is thin I cut off very little, the thicker it is the more I tend to cut off the bottom.