🔕 🔔

Anyway to avoid orange hands/squash residue on hands when peeling squash? I have recently been peeling lots and dealing with orange hands that don't get clean for ages.

asked by allie about 6 years ago

I use tight-fitting disposable latex gloves when I peel squashes, beets, etc. If I've forgotten to put them on, I scrub my stained hands with a paste made of lemon juice (or rice vinegar) and kosher salt.

Ddd52943 cdf0 4edb a2d4 73aa286607f0  399571 2853636453848 1694221275 n

I think wearing gloves would be the best way.

I was avoiding the gloves b/c was worried about cutting myself, but if surgeons can wear gloves, I guess I can too!

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

1. Use gloves. Make sure the gloves fit well, like a second skin, so that your hands and fingers don't slip and slide inside them. Hard squash is tough to cut, but it's really easy to cut your fingers.

2. Roast or bake it first. Cut it in half, brush the exposed surfaces with a paper towel dipped in oil, place cut-side down on a baking sheet, bake at 350 until just tender. Let cool, scoop out pulp, freeze. Allow to thaw in a colander before using in recipes for soups or purees or pies.

My hands are rough and calloused like a cowboy's: I can use LimeAway without gloves, but I have to wear them when I cut squash and pumpkins. It's the weirdest thing--I don't know if my skin is peeling off or if it's dried squash "juice," but if I don't wear gloves while working with pumpkins, my hands look and feel strangely tight for hours afterward. (Hmmm. . .If I used it on my face, I might be wrinkle free, but I'd have one of those fake orange tans, wouldn't I? Ewww.)

If you don't want to wear gloves and don't want to cook the squash first, as soon as you're done cutting and peeling, clean your hands right away with dish detergent (not bath soap--use something with a degreaser), hot water and a nail brush. Scrub well, as if you're prepping for surgery.

Yes, I have the weird skin feeling too ... I have been peeling before roasting for a roasted squash dish that involves roasting cubed squash. OK, gloves it is!

Have you tried rubbing your hands with a couple of pieces of raw potato? That works for many food stains. I haven't tried it with squash (because I generally just roast the squash, cut in half, before peeling), but I plan to try it this evening, because now I'm curious. (That's a trick I picked up, many years ago, from my 1943 edition of The Joy of Cooking. That book is full of great information!!) ;o)

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I usually roast (halved) winter squash too - before turning it into mash, soup, whatever. First, because I can't stand wearing gloves, but also for the added flavor. Anyway, the reason your skin feels tight after handling pumpkin, etc. is because its flesh contains a natural astringent. In fact, I think there are some natural cosmetic astringents and exfoliants that contain pumpkin extract for that reason.