The pie emoji is coming! Hear how we helped change history. »
🔕 🔔

How do you cook dried hominy?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer almost 6 years ago
80cc9648 9cfe 4049 92f3 f6fef0f3a439  fb avatar

You treat hominy generally as you would beans. An overnight or 6-8 hour soak will soften them up or you can put on the stove covered with water and simmer a few hours until soft. If soaking, I do change the water, something I do not do with beans as Hominy are generally treated with lye.

Lots of good recipies for Pozole floating aroudn, in my humble opinion, the reason god made Hominy was for Pozole.

Deborah Madison's Pozole recipe in Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone is a classic. It is delicious, easy, and filling. Heidi Swanson did a version you can access here:

http://www.101cookbooks...

28eb9cf1 0e4c 40cf 85b0 e9adfa05b302  100 1685

Completely agree on the posole recipe in Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone! I have great luck cooking the hominy in a pressure cooker after a 20-min soak. It still takes over an hour to split and get the "floral" look -- but it is so much better than canned hominy!!!