Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Submitting recipes: Measurements in grams?

I bake by weight - I prefer using grams for several reasons, but especially the fact that grams are much smaller increments than ounces, therefore more precise. I want to submit a recipe and I see ounces as an option in the pull-down menu, but not grams. Am I missing something? Is there any way to submit my recipe in grams? Please help! Thanks.

asked by Gluten-Free Boulangerie over 5 years ago
E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

You can write in the box, so instead of using the drop-downs, in the ingredient box, you can write "4 grams sugar" or whatever.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I know most people expect cups for flours...quite a few casual cooks don't have scales.
I didn't until a couple of years ago, and I'll never go back!
It's made a world of diffrence in baking. Today, scales are cheap and accurate. No reason at all not have one in the kitchen now.

Thanks drbabs!

E3958d08 8f15 43c7 bcf6 3cd371787cb4  logo

Wish I had asked this question. I converted a recipe from grams to ounces just for this site.

Speaking of gram weights. Here's a very handy chart I posted other night about different gram weights in different flours.

http://www.recipesource...

and here's another bit about No-Kneed bread converted into gram weight (I had to go back to the original recipe for using instant yeast as this uses fresh yeast).

http://blog.khymos.org...

I keep Gold Medal AP flour on hand as most of my recipes are based on that--but with the first chart and the scale I can adjust now measuring by weight.

E56c06da dac4 48cf 8040 8ed011cd4cbd  avatar 540 white
Food52

This is from your friendly editors at Food52.

Hi everyone -- please help us out by sending any questions or concerns about food52 to [email protected], instead of posting them here. We designed foodpickle as a place for questions about food and cooking to be answered quickly -- but lately, we've seen it veer off course with conversations about food52's inner workings. This is confusing to new visitors and, worst of all, some urgent pickles have been buried before they can get an answer -- that's no good! Thanks for understanding and for helping us keep foodpickle doing what it does best.