How can I keep my souffles from shrinking once they are out of the oven? They rise beautifully but, if not eaten immediately they loose some of their height and look unattractive.

asked by DianneD about 8 years ago

TiggyBee

The reason is because the bubbles in the egg whites heat shrink when they are cooled. It's a normal process, heat expands them, cold shrinks. However, they will live to rise again, if simply reheated. Hope this helps!!

Serene

That's the nature of souffles, in my experience. It's part of their allure.

foodfighter

I've seen some recipes include Cream of Tartar with the Egg whites, or using a copper bowl. This should help with height a little bit.