🔕 🔔

Can I let my dough rise by heating up the oven and turning it off.

My mama always used her oven because of the gas pilot light but mine is electric. How do I let the dough rise?

asked by Sybil Hood 11 months ago

Room temperature is usally fine, unless you have a very cold and drafty indoors. Even so, the dough will rise, albeit a little slower.
The pilot light was used to give the dough a little boost of warmth, get it started
With an electric oven, i would worry about too much heat killing the yeast and starring the baking process before the dough was risen.

23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar

Agree, it's doable but risky. You might find a warmer spot in a bedroom, laundry room etc., but avoid full sun. My kitchen is usually pretty cool in the winter, and I use a seedling heating mat, available at nurseries or, if you dare, through Amazon- it puts out an even, gentle heat perfect for yeast doughs.

It will still rise in a cool kitchen. I actually prefer breads that have a slower rise. Hopefully you aren't in a time crunch.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

My grandmother used to let her dough rise in the guest room with a blanket on top.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

When I made challah and had a time crunch I would do this (although I have a gas range). I have a very low heat setting; I would turn it briefly to that and then allow it time to cool to barely warm. It worked fine for challah, which is sweet, eggy and rich; I never had a problem. Might be a different story for a more complex, dense bread or for an electric element.

Forgot about this one- most microwaves have a small air space and good insulation- if you put it in the microwave with a glass of hot water (on the side) it will stay warm for quite a while. Just make sure not to turn on the microwave.

Amy

I have an electric stove and what I've done is turn the light on first thing before I start the dough. By the time I'm ready to let the dough rise its getting warm and I leave the light on the whole time. Works for me. Good luck!

I have done this occasionally---turn oven on to 175, turn oven off when it reaches this temp. then put in dough to rise-- make sure to take out top rack or else your bread may rise up into it--ask me how I know!!! Set the timer-it rises faster than on the counter.