Bananas are high on my fruit respect list - they are full of many good things - but beware the pesticides on the peel -

ChefJune June 18, 2011

Who eats the peels?

Merrill Stubbs June 18, 2011

ChefJune, I believe this may have been a response to this question about freezing bananas: http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...

mcd2
mcd2 June 21, 2011

buy organic and there will be no pesticides on the peel.

Sam1148 June 21, 2011

I did some banana slices this weekend. Dip the slices on one side in sugar, sliced about 1/2 thick on an angle. Take a blow torch and caramelize the sugar until bubbly on foil and brown. Let cool a bit.
Serve with a just a spoon full of ice cream. It's what you want for a cream brulee but quick and easy to make. You get the nice 'crack!' From the caramelized sugar on the bananas and the cream from the ice cream..and just a spoon full of ice cream is all you really need.

Peter
Peter June 22, 2011

Sam1148, I tried your bananas with bruleed sugar tip last night and... yummy! Thanks for adding a new and delicious trick to our family's rotation of ice cream garnish. :-)