substitute for cream style corn in chowders, cornbread, etc.

i don't like the taste of the milky part of cream style corn-tastes like sour milk to me. i see recipes that combine corn, cream corn and sometimes corn meal. i never make them because i don't know how to adjust amts of corn product. anyone have ideas?

• Posted by: mcd2
  • June 19, 2011

SKK June 19, 2011

It would be useful to know what you want to make. Originally cream style corn is cooking the corn, from the cobs, cutting off the kernels and adding butter and milk or cream to taste. It is divine.

SKK June 19, 2011

Sorry - misread your question. Here is a wonderful recipe for corn bread http://www.food52.com/recipes...
And making corn chowder is different than making corn bread. How can we help clarify?

mcd2
mcd2 June 19, 2011

ok forget the chowder issue for now. saw recipe for magically moist cornbread submitted this week. calls for 2 cans cream style corn. i want to know how to adjust a cornbread recipe to get the liquid equivalent into my bread if using frozen corn or even corn cut from fresh cobs. and would i add milk or cream to make up for the milky quality of canned corn, too (so the texture would be right) i'm not asking about that recipe precisely but rather does anyone have ideas about adjusting ANY recipe that calls for cream style corn...

SKK June 19, 2011

I can't find the recipe for magically moist cornbread. What I recommend is studying Merril's recipe and comparing the two. ihttp://www.food52.com/recipes... It will give you some ideas. For example she uses 1 cup milk and 3/4 cup creme fraiche to 1 cup corn kernels.