🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Quick Cucumber and Shiso Pickles What is MIRIN and where can I find it?

2cb096da 64b0 4da4 bf4f f428f6b07e13  2015 0226 shisho pickles mark weinberg 136

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "Quick Cucumber and Shiso Pickles" from Teri. It says:

"Put sugar, vinegar, mirin and salt into a non-reactive bowl. Whisk until the sugar and salt are dissolved."

asked by bjohns4085 over 6 years ago

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Mirin is a sweet rice cooking wine and I'm sure is available at Asian markets. I actually found it in the Asian aisle of my grocery store.

6eb27e5d f317 4cf7 8b7a 2782bb7d92c2  title01

Good answer. And don't be afraid of the sweet wine description. It's needed to provide a balance in the sweet-tangy-salty balance of Japanese foods.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

You should be able to find it easily. You can substitute sake + a little sugar.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I made this with just some white wine and it was delicious!

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I sometimes use vermouth -- sweet or dry depending on what's called for -- if I don't have the right ingredient. As you see, it's about getting a good balance of taste. (Vermouth is an easy choice because even the brand name is inexpensive and, here at least, in my supermarket.) Ultimately, you should try to get some mirin.

12b6825d 7e48 4c90 841b 23da35e905b4  desktop3

Mirin is the best choice as it is more mild than using straight sake or Vermouth and has a nominal amount of alcohol. The flavor is completely different. Mirin is easy to find at most grocery stores with other Asian foods and is not expensive. Also, instead of salt, white soy or shoyu can be used. It is found in some stores and online.