Summertime Jack-o-lanterns

I was chatting with a friend and the subject turned to my daughter's summertime birthday activities. She's too young, but we were thinking how fun it would be for kids to make mini fruit jackolanterns - using those tiny watermelons I've seen at the supermarket. Then I got to thinking, what's stopping us from adding candles and using them as decoration at a nighttime party? You know, along a garden wall? Is the rind to soft or something? Would it rot too quickly for a 4 hour party? And, if it could work, why is this not all over Martha Stewart's magazines ... the idea seems *so* her :) Thoughts?

asked by Sasha (Global Table Adventure) almost 7 years ago

Peter
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

Seeing as how I've carved a watermelon into wedges and left it out in the sum for a Summer BBQ for at least 4 hours, I think you'd be fine as long as you kept them refrigerated up until the party started.

Helen's All Night Diner

These should work just fine. How about large bell peppers, too!

Did you know the original ones were made from turnips? see:http://en.wikipedia.org...

I think it's a fantastic idea. I hope you'll post photos.

Peter
Peter

I'd be worried that bell peppers might get a little wilted over time. :-/

I think it's an awesome idea. You could get the little LED tea lights to put inside the smaller things like bell peppers. I bet the whole peppers would glow, and if you used the reds, oranges, and yellows they'd be gorgeous! I'd not be too concerned about them wilting in a 4-hour time frame.

Sasha (Global Table Adventure)

I wonder if oranges would be better than peppers. Hmm. Could be outrageously cute.

Sasha (Global Table Adventure)

Helen - I did not know the originals were made from Turnips. Interesting!

If you have a home with central AC with floor vents. Store the watermelons over the floor vent. Saves a lot of space in the 'fridge.

Sasha (Global Table Adventure)

I wish I did, Sam - great idea! They all come out of the ceiling though.