🔕 🔔

Proper Way to Store Garlic

What is the proper way to store garlic? Mines is in the refrig in a jar of oil.

asked by manders789 about 6 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

In a cool, dark place. If you have a basement or pantry, that's best. And keep it in a basket or well-ventilated container.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Is this question about peeled cloves? If you bought them that way, store them as they were sold. Otherwise, separate and peel as needed from your 'cool, dark place.'

6f614b0c 899e 467f b032 d68711f70a39  2011 03 07 18 28 41 870

I store my garlic in a zip top bag in the freezer. It only takes a moment to thaw and the skin pops right off. I picked up the idea off a website from a garlic grower...

Responding to the second part of your query: I've heard that garlic should not be stored in oil in the refrigerator, due to the risk of botulism. There was a stern, rather frightening directive from the FDA sometime around 1990, after several people died from botulism from garlic in oil. I peel as I go, storing fresh garlic in the same small, mostly open storage crate that I use for my onions, which I keep on the floor of my (thimble-sized) pantry. ;o)