I can't get the grease stains off my new stainless steel pan after frying falafel in it. Any suggestions?

It's an all clad paella pan. (Next time I'll use cast iron.)

zanrobertson
zanrobertson July 6, 2011

Try using Bar Keepers Friend. Let it soak for a little before scrubbing. Hope that works!

cateler
cateler July 6, 2011

ditto on the Bar Keepers - best ... stuff...ever. Use with a nylon scrubber.

EatArt
EatArt July 6, 2011

Fill pan with water. Add a scoop of dishwasher detergent powder and a small squirt of dishwashing liquid. Bring to a boil. Boil 10 minutes. Cover. Leave overnight. Next day anything burnt or baked on comes off extremely easily. Has saved my pans (and me) many times. :)

prettyPeas
prettyPeas July 6, 2011

Bar Keeper's Friend usually works for me, as does baking soda. If it is resistant to just scrubbing with baking soda, add baking soda and a little water to the pan (to cover the hardened oil) and boil for about 10 minutes. Let cool, or leave overnight, then scrub, much like EatArt's suggestion.

Fairmount_market
Fairmount_market July 9, 2011

Thanks for the recommendations of Bar Keeper's Friend. I'd never heard of it before. I picked it up today at the hardware store and it worked like a charm! Amazing!

Sam1148 July 9, 2011

Fine steel wool. We're talking the superfine steel wool here. Sometimes you just have to weigh the outcome. A heavy burned oil film will laugh at whimpy methods.

I have an ancient 'no name brand' stainless pan..about 30 years old..and has been oil burned many times..and brought back using even simple brillo pads. It's still one of the best pans I have and great for omelets etc .

Just don't get too anal about the 'shine' on the pan, Good cookware is 'used' and sometimes looks that way.