🔕 🔔

Great recipe for chicken with soft tacos?

Having a birthday potluck for a close friend. The menu is guacomole, chile rellenos, rice and beans, salad and she wants chicken tacos without cheese (since that will be in the other dishes). She also prefers chicken breast rather than thighs. And she wants the chicken pulled. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

asked by SKK almost 7 years ago

Ophelia

You could make this recipe with breasts rather than thighs, but you won't get as much chicken flavor. It smells amazing while it's cooking.

http://norecipes.com/blog...

It's going to be diffucult to make 'pulled chicken' with white meat boneless breasts without it being dry.
But, you could season them with "Sazon" seasoning. Grill them, and hit with some lime juice. Would using bone in breasts be out of the question?

@sam1148, this is a challenge. I have had good luck first brining the breat. And if we could come up with something that would be added after the meat is pulled. Lime juice is a great idea. I googled sazon, haven't heard about it. Give me a little background.

Thank you, Ophelia. I will check this out.

@SKK
Sazon is a packaged seasoning used in Mexican and "Island" cooking.
Bascially, a spice mix that some cumin, Annatto, garlic, salt etc.
There are different blends of that. It's sold in little boxes, in the ethnic or spice sections. Widely available. The one with Annato would be the one to use for the chicken. Used as a rub and let it sit before cooking.
Look for the one sold in little boxes..containing sectional foil packs of the seasoning.
(about the size of a gelatin box).

It's one of the 'secret' things used in the Caribbean for their pulled pork dishes.
But, it's also common in Latino cooking. Adds color and flavor.

It's also used to give Spanish rice it's color and flavor. (well, if you're not using saffron and completely from scratch seasonings). It's a shortcut. But tasty and available.

@Sam1148 - Thank you!

I'm thinking about this now..and this is just a guess for technique.
Borrowed from making a braised pulled pork and poached chicken.

The chicken breasts. Bone in skin on. A big pot of water. Sazon seasoning in the water..a touch of cumin. Lime juice and the lime rinds.
Put the seasoning in the water. Boil it. Put in the chicken breasts..cover and Turn it Off.
It should poach the chicken perfectly in about 35 mins with no additional heat.
let it cool a bit a go it to remove the skin. And shred.
I'm not completely sold on that for tacos. as I think it needs fat and some browning.
Maybe putting the layer of reserved skin on top of the chicken and cooking again in the oven with additional seasoning could make it a bit better. Smoked paprika could be added to the end game to color the chicken instead of more Sazon. (which is salty)
This is a test...this is only a test.

..and yet another thought. Make green tomatillo "salsa verde" for the tacos.

Outstanding for tacos. Like really, really good.
It can be made the night before..or even a couple of days before.
http://mexicanfoodie.com...

forget what I said about boiling poaching.
Pollo Asado (keyword to google) is what you want for that.
Can be done with just the breasts.
http://rptides.blogspot...
and adjusting the spices and marinade for the audience
(I'd still add lime to the mix tho).
http://thepioneerwoman...

As my grandparents used to say "We are cooking with gas now" Thanks Sam1148 and Ophelia.

MQuad

First SKK, thanks for your response to my abundant tomatoe "pickle." Pics and results are coming. Now, to your question...I know this may not be "fancy" enough for this blog, but if you own a crockpot, you are about to be a BIG hit in chicken taco world. This recipe is so simple, it is ridiculous! Yet, for all my times of 'slaving' in the kitchen for friends, THIS is the meal they request most.
1 package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, layered on the bottom of crockpot
Top with; in any order:
3 garlic cloves, minced (or 1 tsp bottled minced garlic)
3 Tbs dried minced onion
2 Tbs original Mrs. Dash
Generous dashes of hot sauce (Crystal at my house, Cholula or Tapatio as well)
1 Tbs Lawrys Seasoned Pepper
Top with:
2 1/2 Cups La Victoria Salsa Suprema*
Set on low for 7 plus hours, or high 4-6 hours
Open the lid...grab a potato masher or two forks....your choice on how you'd like the concistency to be. Either way it will fall apart (imagine the best pulled pork ever, but chicken tacos!).
I keep thinking I should enter this into some sort of contest, because people love it so much, but I'd be embarassed as the recipe is so rudimentary (as you see)! I can guarantee success with this!
*Any salsa works good, for some reason jarred/canned offers a better success, and the brand/style has provided me with the most wide appeal. If it's just my immediate family, we chose a hotter variety (Ranchero) and add jalepenos and often a few dashes of the liquid from pickled jalepenos.
I hope you try it....and enjoy! Best wishes on your event!

@MQuad - thanks for taking the time to write out this great recipe. Alas, I do not have a slow cooker. I encourage you to always submit your recipes!

@Sam1148 - Thank you for giving me this incredible solution. Pollo asado it is. I am going to have a taco bar and include pickled red onions, pickled jalapenos, roasted red peppers, sliced radishes, chopped tomatoes and some kind of lime cream.