Shredded chicken for tacos

I have been tasked with making 3 lbs of shredded chicken for a "walking taco bar" at work next week. I have no idea where to start.
Does anyone have a good recipe they can recommend? Is this the kind of thing I need a recipe for, or do I just poach and shred chicken breasts? Seasoning suggestions? How far ahead can I make it? How do I warm it up at work and keep it warm? Crock pot?
Help! I'm "the boss" of this group and don't want my contribution to be the laughingstock (or to get anyone sick).
Thanks advance!

asked by TobiT over 2 years ago

ktr
ktr

I have used this recipe several times: http://www.foodiewithfamily...

SeasonToTaste

There are a few recipes on this site, but you don't necessarily need a recipe. Poaching would work, and if you go that route, I recommend making sure that your poaching liquid is well seasoned. Another option that I think might yield better results would be via the slow cooker. In terms of seasonings, I'd go for cumin, chili powder, salt (depending on how much salt is in your chili powder), oregano, and perhaps some chopped tomatoes or salsa. Cook on low just until cooked through and shreddable with forks. Add some lime juice at the end to brighten flavors.

LE BEC FIN

lyndie has great suggestion with her Asado style seasoning and a slow cooker. Def use bone-in thighs, skin removed til meat is falling off bone, then remove the bones, pull/shred meat and return meat to crockpot. If this is the only meat taco filling, I'd figure on 1 thigh per person. I think I can link you to some good recipes; i'll look now.

LE BEC FIN

1 lb bone-in,skinless chicken thighs
2 tsp ground toasted cumin
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon cilantro,
½ onion, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
juice from 2 oranges
5 tablespoon lime juice
5 tablespoon lemon juice

Instructions

Place the chicken thighs into the slow cooker.
Top with crushed red pepper, oregano, cumin, garlic , cilantro, and onions.
Over the top, pour the oil and juices.
Cook on high for 4 hours.
Serve shreddedchicken with corn tortillas, salsa, cheese, and guacamole (optional).

Above is the best i found but i'd suggest you do some googling for slow cooker pollo asado esp. for the cooking time.

LE BEC FIN

p.s. i think a yield of 3 lb meat would begin with ~6 lb bone-in thighs.