A question about a recipe: Shrimp and Chorizo Sandwich

I have a question about step 2 on the recipe "Shrimp and Chorizo Sandwich" from azminad. It says:

"Meanwhile, cut the chorizo -- I like to cut it into quarters lengthwise, and then crosswise into 1/8-inch slices."

We don't eat pork. If I don't use Chorizo, would it make a difference in the taste?

• Posted by: azminad
  • July 10, 2011
28f4bec4 8a62 4daf a16a 9721c66caf15  9877 shrimp and chorizo sandwich
Recipe question for: Shrimp and Chorizo Sandwich

hardlikearmour July 10, 2011

Yes, it'll be a different sandwich w/o the chorizo. You could potentially use a pre-cooked chicken or turkey based andouille sausage instead to mimic the spiciness of the chorizo.

Amanda Hesser July 10, 2011

The sandwich won't be a failure without the chorizo -- it'll just be a shrimp salad sandwich, and what's wrong with that! But if you'd like to add another meat, I would do as hardlikearmour suggests and fold in some chicken or turkey sausage.

Gale
Gale July 10, 2011

I love this combination, but one time when I did not have the chorizo I added some smoked Sp paprika (hot) to the mayonaisse and got the flavor (but not the texture). It really was OK.

azminad
azminad July 11, 2011

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions!! :))