🔕 🔔

difference between BLACK SALT ?

what is the different in taste for Cyprus Black Lava Salt http://www.saltworks.us... or Hawaiian Black salt http://www.thespicehouse... AND the indian Kala Namak http://en.wikipedia.org... this is one of the main ingredient or tastemaker I believe for tikka masala or tandoori recipe

asked by pauljoseph about 6 years ago

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

its the intrinsic flavor that characterizes the salt. as with other foods like wines that have a characteristic of the area that the grapes were grown in (terrior), the geological make up of the region that these salts were harvested in determines the flavor.The kala namak that we use in Indian cooking & of course chat masala has a significant concentration of sulphur which gives it its characteristic eggy umami aroma.

(In tamil, I believe the term is 'mann vaasanai', being from Kerala, I'm sure you'll be able to transalate to the equivalent malayalam term)

The cyprus black salt as the link states is simply sea salt from the mediterranean sea mixed with charcoal, expect a smoky burnt flavor.

B997a3e0 15e1 4323 99cc bf778a6da88e  52

Panfusine Thank you 'mann vaasanai' in Malayalam we call ''bhoomiyude manam'' smell of the earthern soil as the first few drops of rain touch the ground..
Panfusine do you get kala namak in any grocery store in America?

the term is also used to characterize the subtle variation of flavors of vegetables and other food produce from area to area.
I've never had a problem with getting kala namak here in the USA, never had to lug it from India which I would otherwise definitely would.

Panfusine you are really an Indian American expert in Indian food thank you we need your help a lot

496e3e21 39ca 4097 9452 893af2b65dbb  port2

You two are seriously impressive! I've only eber tried the hawaiian black salt, though the kala namak sounds fabulous...

LOL: Hardly an expert... I think of myself more as a 'theethipatteri' (closest transalation: gourmand (as in semi foodie glutton in French))

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I bought black salt after getting a recipe for a tomato chutney from an elderly Indian man who made a meal for my husband and me. He lived with his children who did not want to cook Indian food in America.What wonderful food! We were living outside Washington DC then, late 70's. Sadly, I have lost the recipe, but still have the salt (more uses would be appreciated). What a wonderful description of the scent, Pauljoseph!