🔕 🔔

What is your experience with blanching and freezing leeks?

It looks like I will be harvesting more leeks than I can possibly use in a short time (I spotted a leek shooting up a scape, first year this has happened). From what I read, storing the stalks in peat moss or sand seems to affect their quality so I am wondering whether I should blanch them for 3 minutes and freeze them. Does anyone have any experience with freezing leeks?

asked by Green Card Gardener about 6 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

Apologies for the spam -- we're working to track it down.

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

Leeks actually are known for freezing really well. Just chop them, place them in plastic bags and freeze directly, no blanching is necessary. If you have too many to fit them in the freezer, then you can even bury some in the snow at the end of fall, they will keep just fine for a couple of months.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

If you can get them in the fall, they will keep all winter in a cold outbuilding, like a garage or cold porch. They freeze, eventually, and get all draggly looking, but the insides stay sweet and tender right into March. It's kind of amazing and no work at all.

272d72fa 27b1 4b4b b42f 0132f79e5d38  46a45ad9 247f 48c1 a5a5 1975acc94a0b 12

Thanks. I think I will try to freeze a few stalks unblanched as a test. Of course it would be ideal to leave them in the ground until the fall but I am not sure that is a good idea, given that they started to bloom now (strange, the stalks are barely 1 inch thick). I read somewhere that after blooming they loose their flavor, do you know that to be true?

When you leave them in the ground you are supposed to do so after you uproot them. I've frozen them many times but have never grown them, so I don't know what effect blooming has on them. But in general I think there is a truth to it because once an edible plant begins to bloom, it concentrates all it has into producing seeds, so after a while the flavor will no longer be its best.

@Droplet: Good to know you've frozen them successfully. I will do that.