A question about a recipe: Raspberry Acetosa Mojito

Wonder if more rasberry taste would not be extracted by cooking them with the sugar and water and then strain?

06c858a1 87a8 476b 831b 0d19e3ec9168  071911 42
Recipe question for: Raspberry Acetosa Mojito

Bay leaves for life
Bay leaves for life July 25, 2011

I actually think the raw freshness of the raspberries pureed is part of the lightness of the cocktail. Instead of a rich, jam-y taste, you get a right-off-the-bush tang that comes from not cooking the life out of the berries, I believe.

Andreadoria56
Andreadoria56 July 25, 2011

Thank you - that may well be it, but there is one way to find out, right? Try both methods!

Emiko
Emiko July 25, 2011

I agree that the freshness of the un-cooked raspberries is really a highlight of this syrup base! Consider also that you add the fresh raspberries to hot sugar-syrup so while it doesn't actually "cook" I believe the flavour is really brought out by hitting the raspberries with the hot syrup. If you are considering experimenting with cooking them, I would still add the vinegar after you take it off the heat. Hope that helps!