Milk for my meatballs

Need to cover some white bread with a few tbsp of milk to make some meatballs. All I have in the kitchen is skim plus and heavy cream. Which is better for this?

asked by jbrau13 over 7 years ago

francesca gilberti
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

I'd go skim -- the point here is not to impart a whole lot of flavor, but rather to simply moisten the bread so you can work it into the meatballs. The viscosity of heavy cream ... I'm not sure, but sounds a tad too gloopy for this situation. Good luck!

I think the skim plus would be better than the heavy cream, Some people soak the bread in water some in milk. Love meatballs!

I'd go for maybe 3 parts skim to 1 part cream. The richness sounds good to me.

Use what you want. I've used wine, both red and white, instead of milk to moisten bread in meatballs.

cookbookchick

Even water will work.

I now use a variation of Cooks Illustrated tip for all beef meat loaf for meat balls.

The secret ingredient is unflavored gelatin. Bloom 1 tsp of gelatin in 1/2 cup of beef stock. and use that to moisten the bread crumbs.

The gelatin replaces the fat you'd normally get using a pork, veal, beef grind in a beef meatball (or meat loaf).