Why do they say never to melt butter in the microwave?

monkeymom
monkeymom August 18, 2010

I think it is because butter has a tendency to melt unevenly in the microwave. The parts that heat up faster will splatter and cause a big mess or worse yet, scald you when you try to remove it form the microwave.

drbabs August 19, 2010

If I need to melt butter in the microwave, I do it on very low power and check it every 15-30 seconds and stir. I think monkemom is right. I learned this the hard way.

SMSF
SMSF March 25, 2013

Be sure to cover the dish/bowl with wax paper before microwaving - no spills, spatters, or scalding. And I agree with Barbara, use very low power and keep your eye on it.

ChefOno
ChefOno March 25, 2013

I don't know who "they" are but that's nonsense. Melting butter in the MW is a daily procedure in my kitchen. It's true it will quickly boil over but a lot of liquids will behave that way (ditto on a burner).

SeaJambon
SeaJambon March 25, 2013

If you're careful and use low settings, you'll be fine. If not, you may burn the whey in the butter. Because of how hot microwaves can heat (and how quickly they can get there), if you weren't careful, you could have some unmelted and some burned all at the same time. I also have been known to melt butter in the microwave and do so using the "defrost" setting rather than a cooking setting.

pierino March 26, 2013

...and be careful about "softening" yogurt in the microwave.