🔕 🔔

Why do they say never to melt butter in the microwave?

asked by Kitchen Butterfly about 7 years ago

9920059c c14d 4755 965d d880979c2f61  monkeys

I think it is because butter has a tendency to melt unevenly in the microwave. The parts that heat up faster will splatter and cause a big mess or worse yet, scald you when you try to remove it form the microwave.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

If I need to melt butter in the microwave, I do it on very low power and check it every 15-30 seconds and stir. I think monkemom is right. I learned this the hard way.

8bbfe648 dc7e 43f9 816b 4de4ae50eec7  photo
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

Be sure to cover the dish/bowl with wax paper before microwaving - no spills, spatters, or scalding. And I agree with Barbara, use very low power and keep your eye on it.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

I don't know who "they" are but that's nonsense. Melting butter in the MW is a daily procedure in my kitchen. It's true it will quickly boil over but a lot of liquids will behave that way (ditto on a burner).

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

If you're careful and use low settings, you'll be fine. If not, you may burn the whey in the butter. Because of how hot microwaves can heat (and how quickly they can get there), if you weren't careful, you could have some unmelted and some burned all at the same time. I also have been known to melt butter in the microwave and do so using the "defrost" setting rather than a cooking setting.

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

...and be careful about "softening" yogurt in the microwave.