Hottest part of a chili pepper

9958c2d3 c380 4403 8d8b 94cddda1535b  9

The inner wall of the pepper is the hottest. It is a common misconception that the seeds are the hottest. They only contain a small amount of capsaicin, the chemical that makes peppers spicy.If you want the taste of chili flavor and avoid the hotness of the chili remove the inner wall

asked by pauljoseph over 7 years ago

Helen's All Night Diner

Very true! I usually remove the seeds for texture reasons but end up leaving the veins... Just made a batch of my Hellonish Corn. Basically corn relish with lots of different hot peppers... It's fun standing over a hot bubbling pot of this, crying as the hot vapors waft through the kitchen...

Panfusine

the inner membranes contain the highest concentration of capsaicin.

I always thought it was the seeds, thank you so much pauljoseph. Learning something new, at least for me all the time.

wssmom

You learn something every day! Thanks, PJ

Had no idea, great to know.

seabirdskitchen

The seeds often feel as if they are hot because they have been contact with the membranes.