🔕 🔔

Help! For all of your nature people out there: who knows how to clean off the milk of fresh figs. I just came home with 3 kilos of beautiful fresh figs, on my way to make candied figs in syrup. I am covered in the astringent sticky milk. I have scrubbed and scrubbed, but my hands, arms, shoulders and hair are still a mess. Any advice?

asked by nogaga over 6 years ago

9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

The milky substance is sugar from the fruit. I never remove it, just eat it. But if it bothers you, very hot water will dissolve it any you can wipe the rest off.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

Grease with oil,
the milk is related to latex, since the fig is a member of the rubber plant family. rub some mineral or olive oil onto the sap on the skin, rub in a circular motion, it should come right off!

496e3e21 39ca 4097 9452 893af2b65dbb  port2

Thank you! The oil solution worked, Panfusine, but only after the latex had left an ugly welt on the inside of my elbow. Goodness!