Help! For all of your nature people out there: who knows how to clean off the milk of fresh figs. I just came home with 3 kilos of beautiful fresh figs, on my way to make candied figs in syrup. I am covered in the astringent sticky milk. I have scrubbed and scrubbed, but my hands, arms, shoulders and hair are still a mess. Any advice?

• Posted by: nogaga
  • August 8, 2011

usuba dashi
usuba dashi August 8, 2011

The milky substance is sugar from the fruit. I never remove it, just eat it. But if it bothers you, very hot water will dissolve it any you can wipe the rest off.

Panfusine
Panfusine August 8, 2011

Grease with oil,
the milk is related to latex, since the fig is a member of the rubber plant family. rub some mineral or olive oil onto the sap on the skin, rub in a circular motion, it should come right off!

nogaga
nogaga August 8, 2011

Thank you! The oil solution worked, Panfusine, but only after the latex had left an ugly welt on the inside of my elbow. Goodness!