🔕 🔔

What is the benefit or purpose of using unfiltered olive oil.

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer almost 6 years ago
895246da b96b 4ecd 949f 61056e179c1f  head shot

Unfiltered has a fuller, stronger flavor. I like to put a little on right before I serve a dish for that spicy olive oil flavor.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Any unfiltered oil supposedly has more nutrients, and appeals to people who want less processing. More done, something is missing.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Unfiltered olive oil is also different with its appearance (dark green); looks cloudy because it has fruit particles on the bottom of the bottle - similiar to pulp in orange juice. Many say it has better or more pronounced fruity or peppery taste. Careful though, unfiltered olive oil will eventually ferment, and look on the bottle for a expiration date, so use quickly. It's best use in my opinion is drizzling overy brushetta, roasted vegetables, eggs or tossed with pasta or used to did bread in.

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

That total donut hole Rachael Ray said she was asked what extra virgin means, and she said, "that just means it's unfiltered". It's hard to imagine a more ignorant answer. Personally I'm a skeptic with regard to any benefit from unfiltered oil, and I have watched olive oil being made in the wilds of Umbria. And I now live in an olive producing "terroir". To be certified as extra virgin there needs to be measurable level of acidity and to be DOC the olives must be local.