🔕 🔔

Out of olive oil!

Great. I have everything in the house ready for Irene and I realize I don't have enough olive oil!
I have vegetable oil, canola oil and even sesame oil....
Whats the worst that could happen by using one of those in place of olive oil... other than complete and utter shame....

asked by Lucia from Madison over 6 years ago

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

unless you're referring to EVOO and are planning to live exclusively on salad or bread with dipping oil... don't fret... Use the canola for sauteeing, & sesame oil makes for a flavorful oil for dressings!

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

Vegetable oil and canola oil would work for sauteeing, and Panfusine is right, a bit of sesame oil rocks for salads!

27deb974 3b33 4f19 b966 dc79321a31b1  photo for web

I could live on bread with dipping oil! Thanks for the help. Must get cooking now while we still have power!

69d2403d 88f4 4b72 b0b9 84a21f4d0561  img 1445

Power through the storm with some home-made mayonaisse, which doesn't use olive oil. If you make an especially large batch (3 plus egg yolks) and don't have electricity, you won't notice the storm over the sounds and efforts of whisking :) You can also fry/saute most things in non-olive oils, mixed with a bit of butter for taste. Enjoy, and stay safe with Irene!

6f611b78 35b4 4186 89ad c38b035b32f3  08270410avatar messbrasil

Try the India way and fry your spices on a very hot pan with the sesame oil than lower the heat and add your main ingredients.All the way from Brazil wishing you're well while Irene passes.

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I agree with everyone just want to wish you best of luck, I am also waiting for Irene to come and then pass.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Here in the west we have our fingers and toes crossed and sending blessings to our east coast partners! Good-night, Irene!

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Is your sesame oil roasted (toasted) or not? The toasted oil is a definitive taste, the other can be used for just about anything and has a "mild flavor and high smoking point." (according to my reference)