Baking stone/pizza stone followup: this past Wednesday the New York Times reviewed a new Emile-Henry product, a 14" pizza stone which can handle up to 700 degrees of heat. Now you are talkin' my language. They're $50 thru either Emile-Henry or better still thru Sur la Table. The latter right now is offering free freight (but for one week only). Money where my big mouth is, I just ordered one. I'm really happy with the other EH Flame products I own, so I don't see it as a big risk. If you live near a Sur la Table store, go check it out.

• Posted by: pierino
  • October 15, 2010

TiggyBee
TiggyBee October 15, 2010

I do and was planning on hitting them up over the weekend. I have an EH braising pot that I absolutely love, so I'll check it out for sure. Thanks pierino for the tip!!

AntoniaJames October 15, 2010

Saw that, too and was intrigued. Glad you mentioned it! Still haven't gotten to the tile shop for the terra cotta, so I may well investigate this. Sur la Table is on the way to the tile shop . . . . Stay tuned. ;o)

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen October 15, 2010

That "figue" color is mighty appealing! I'm curious if you more experienced bakers/pizzaiolas (sp?) think this might be a better choice than a rectangular stone? Also, noticed that Sur la Table has both wooden and stainless/wood combo peels. Any advice?

AntoniaJames October 15, 2010

About the peel, I don't use mine any more. It's just so much easier, and musch less messy, especially when cooking at 550+ degrees, to use parchment and a large baking sheet with one edge-less side. I'm thinking that rectangles or squares that can be laid with other to form larger squares or large rectangles, would be handy, which is why I'm likely to get some terra cotta tiles in addition to the EH. ;o)

iuzzini
iuzzini October 15, 2010

Hi Antonia- Do you just slide the pizza w the parchment right onto the stone? I have a peel and I love it- We bought it at a restaurant supply store and trimmed the handle to fit into our tiny Brooklyn kitchen. The pizza always slides right off if I put the tiniest bit of corn meal on it before putting the dough down . . .I love your terra cotta idea btw and think I might supplement my stone!

pierino October 16, 2010

I use a metal peel with a wooden handle when I'm cooking pizza outside on a stone because the heat from the coals is thermonuclear. Which is what I want.