Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Baking stone/pizza stone followup: this past Wednesday the New York Times reviewed a new Emile-Henry product, a 14" pizza stone which can handle up to 700 degrees of heat. Now you are talkin' my language. They're $50 thru either Emile-Henry or better still thru Sur la Table. The latter right now is offering free freight (but for one week only). Money where my big mouth is, I just ordered one. I'm really happy with the other EH Flame products I own, so I don't see it as a big risk. If you live near a Sur la Table store, go check it out.

asked about 6 years ago
Ddd52943 cdf0 4edb a2d4 73aa286607f0  399571 2853636453848 1694221275 n

I do and was planning on hitting them up over the weekend. I have an EH braising pot that I absolutely love, so I'll check it out for sure. Thanks pierino for the tip!!

Saw that, too and was intrigued. Glad you mentioned it! Still haven't gotten to the tile shop for the terra cotta, so I may well investigate this. Sur la Table is on the way to the tile shop . . . . Stay tuned. ;o)

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

That "figue" color is mighty appealing! I'm curious if you more experienced bakers/pizzaiolas (sp?) think this might be a better choice than a rectangular stone? Also, noticed that Sur la Table has both wooden and stainless/wood combo peels. Any advice?

About the peel, I don't use mine any more. It's just so much easier, and musch less messy, especially when cooking at 550+ degrees, to use parchment and a large baking sheet with one edge-less side. I'm thinking that rectangles or squares that can be laid with other to form larger squares or large rectangles, would be handy, which is why I'm likely to get some terra cotta tiles in addition to the EH. ;o)

693453b7 7e84 4b19 b610 d1ec77bbc42d  halloween

Hi Antonia- Do you just slide the pizza w the parchment right onto the stone? I have a peel and I love it- We bought it at a restaurant supply store and trimmed the handle to fit into our tiny Brooklyn kitchen. The pizza always slides right off if I put the tiniest bit of corn meal on it before putting the dough down . . .I love your terra cotta idea btw and think I might supplement my stone!

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

I use a metal peel with a wooden handle when I'm cooking pizza outside on a stone because the heat from the coals is thermonuclear. Which is what I want.