🔕 🔔

never made soup before so looking for a simple soup recipe?

asked by @1976owl over 5 years ago
Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

What kind of soup do you like? Vegetable, chicken, maybe a cold soup like gazpacho? There are lots of great soup recipes on this site that you can browse here: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Basil Tomato Soup

Ingredients
2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
18 fresh basil leaves, minced
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup butter or margarine

Directions
1.In a large saucepan, bring the tomatoes and broth to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add basil and sugar. Reduce heat to low; stir in cream and butter. Cook until butter is melted.

Here's a Quick Chicken & Noodle Soup by the Queen of Yum-O and EVOO, Rachael Ray: http://www.foodnetwork...

a nice easy one that i make and love is a corn chowder(ish) type soup and is really simple.

1kg of frozen corn (canned would also work) thawed
Vegetable or chicken stock - 1 litre (I use a couple of vegetable stock cubes)
Garlic (how much based on taste)

The original recipe called for the garlic to be chopped and added raw but I thought this made the soup taste funny, so I fry a couple of cloves in olive oil first.

Blend the garlic and thawed sweetcorn ( I do this in a deep bowl with a hand blender and it works fine the result is a chunkier soup which I prefer.)

Transfer the blended mix into a saucepan and add the stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the temperature and simmer for about 15 mins. Keep stirring every once in a while.

Season with salt and pepper to taste.

I like to add a splash of tabasco, some grated cheese chopped spring onions (scallions?) sprinkled on top.

So easy to make and really cheap you can then add things like crispy bacon pieces or croutons to the top. Easily customisable but simple with only 3 ingredients to start!

You get about 5/6 cups from this

Many soups are very esay so it woud help fory you to say what kinds you like. It's always motivating to make something you like best. Carrot and Ginger Soup is easy if you have a blender to puree it in, does that interest you? (or google for some, foolproof, really)

D6706402 eb96 499d a671 b2e90db25df9  bike2

A recent simple delicious corn soup you can find under the title Michigan corn chowder

5b40ac92 7ab8 4ff9 855d cd995050a255  dscn6251

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

My Favorite Quick Soup:
Chop up a skinless boneless chicken breast to fine cubes. (or grind in a mini-prep).
A tsp of "Thai Kitchen" brand Red Curry paste
Lime Zest and juice.
Cook that together until the chicken is done (if you add mushrooms cook those at this point with the chicken)

Add one can of coconut milk.
Simmer 10 mins
Add one or two cans of low sodium chicken stock.
Simmer. 10 mins.

That's the base, but you can add mushrooms at the start to cook, more curry paste to taste, more lime juice, omit the chicken and use tofu--as an addition after the coconut milk.
Fish Sauce (not optional to me, but you can use salt, or soy sauce for the salt element).
Fresh basil is good for the garnish, or sliced green onions.

This is great in the when you have a cold. Put the lime with the coconut and drink it all up!